With my hands tied behind my back

It's after the party. The ballroom is littered and empty. I am naked. My hands are tied behind my back. There is no music. The band is long gone. Yet, still I dance. I dance with a smile.

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Quilting

Someday I'll get some pictures of this area around me. My drive to & from work lately has just been awesome. The amish countryside with changing leaves, pumpkin fields, horses, amish buggies... words just can't explain how gorgeous it is.

We've started remodeling the kitchen. It's a slow process, the fridge has been temporarily relocated two rooms away. The countertops have been taken off, the carpeting pulled out. I think we've got most of the drywall dust cleaned out. Some of the painting has been applied. We picked out a gorgeous burnt orange/rustic red color. I call it "Andi at Biaggis." Just reminds me of a my red-headed friend sitting in a booth at an Italian restaurant in fall. (You would love this color girl!)

The whole remodel started with the idea of putting my brown/black scroll design Mikasa dishes on the walls. But I think I've changed my mind. Now I'm between the amber field print I spotted at the store over the weekend or calligraphy script on the walls. I might be able to tie in the Mikasa and the script or the print and the script, we'll see. It'll come to me.

So in the middle of a remodel, I'm taking off for the weekend. Girls weekend in Chicago. Going to see Ani DiFranco in concert at the Chicago Theatre and have crepes and coffee with friends of friends. I don't actually know the people we'll be staying with, total strangers, but as we all know, sometimes strangers turn into family. And sometimes yes, they turn into stalkers... but Hey! What've I got to lose.

It was kind of interesting, last night I had a meltdown over leaving my man for the weekend. Something he said jokingly triggered an insecurity of mine. And my "trauma" all came flooding back. The last night I went on a "Girls retreat" I came back to a man that didn't want me anymore and ultimately our marriage ended.
So, there's that.
I had a minor meltdown on SLJ and made him make some promises that just because I'm going on a girls retreat does not give him the oppurtunity to change his mind about me. This is not grounds for leaving me high and dry. This is just a girl out with her friends for two days away. I'm pretty pathetic aren't I. But yanno, at least I identified the trigger and processed the meltdown fairly well. That's growth.

Lots of visits to the doctors lately;
I had my mom in to see a cardiologist. No results back from that process yet.

I've been in for f/u with my Gyn, no results from that process yet. Hoping for the best, preparing for the worst.

I did some X-Rays on Thing 1 a couple weeks ago. Thought we might've had another broken appendage (seems like I'm in the right business). Turns out nothing was broken (Thank God cause I'm still paying for the broken arm last year).

I had SLJ's son at the doctor for chronic sinus infection.

Tonight Thing 2 getting a filling at the dentist. Luckily he has no clue what to expect and luckily he loves his dentist and can't wait to go.

The Things are doing well in their new schools. Received Mid Term reports and I'm very proud to admit my monkeys got all A's and just a couple B's. With all the changes they've had to adapt to lately, I'm very impressed and very proud. Exhausted, but proud.

Tomorrow evening I actually, for real this time, sign divorce papers. It's been a terribly long roller coaster type ride and it's finally seeking closure. No time better than fall I suppose. Lots of changes all around.

At moments like this, I'm forced to stop and review and process. Things seem good. Things feel good. Lots of stuff going on.

Reminds me of one of my favorite quotes : When life gives you scraps, make a quilt.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unhinged said...

Andi at Biaggis! Cool.

You gotta start doing photos, though. It'll be easy with a Flickr account (you know that photos-in-motion thing on most everyone's blog).

The weekend in Chicago sounds wonderful. Have FUN. SLJ isn't going to change his mind about you. Nope.

5:08 PM  
Blogger Unhinged said...

P.S. Remember when we went to Chicago a couple of years ago and I was driving your SUV? And made everyone scream when I darted over onto the shoulder where our exit just popped up out of nowhere?!

Hah! Good times, good times.

9:06 PM  
Blogger Gordy said...

I'm jealous of your opportunity to see Ani DiFranco. She's awesome.

Insecurity. Yeah, I'm sure it pervades all of us that get dumped in some fashion after a long relationship. When I think of what the ex has become and how I'd never date her as she is, yet when I have to look in the mirror and remember she dumped me. No fun to think about.

4:09 PM  
Blogger Gordy said...

Eh, forget Flickr, that's yeah-who crap. Google has their own and its just as good. See mine.

http://picasaweb.google.com/grodygeek

4:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home