With my hands tied behind my back

It's after the party. The ballroom is littered and empty. I am naked. My hands are tied behind my back. There is no music. The band is long gone. Yet, still I dance. I dance with a smile.

Friday, September 01, 2006

Closure

So, we sold the house and we had the closing last Friday at the title agency. STBX and I did okay, didn't talk much but I was only there for the check.

I'm signing papers and then I sit back and look across the table at the couple who is buying my house and I wonder to myself... does she garden? Will she be out there digging in my dirt? And then the tears crept up on me. Whoa. Where did this come from? I haven't lived in that house for over a year and all of a sudden I'm choking back tears and biting my lip. I will not cry. I will not cry. Especially in front of the stbx. Will not. It took about five minutes of looking out the window and deep breathing (on the way to the airport kinda breathing) before I regained control.

The final closure on the house. I loved that house. I absolutely loved it. Even though I had said bye to it before, I was saying buy to it again. Bye to my garden and that glorious sunset view over the pond and the bullfrogs at dusk and that wonderful bathtub... all gone forever.

Home is in my heart. And I know that the things we lose in our lives have a way of finding us again. I know this. It'll be worth the wait.

Bye house.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unhinged said...

The legalities of it all--those long, imposting-looking documents that make you feel, really feel, that you're closing the door on yesterday, is what gets you unexpectedly. It happened to me the day we took Nord (my car) in to see if we could get rid of it. And I wasn't as controlled as you were. My throat contracted and then I was doing those tear-throat sounds and Ken didn't understand why.

And the salesguy looked like I'd just pooped out an egg.

5:33 PM  
Blogger Unhinged said...

Uh, I meant imposing, dammit.

5:34 PM  
Blogger Robbie said...

Hugs to you! Even though you said goodbye already, this was the final goodbye. I hope she loves your home as much as you did.

12:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home