With my hands tied behind my back

It's after the party. The ballroom is littered and empty. I am naked. My hands are tied behind my back. There is no music. The band is long gone. Yet, still I dance. I dance with a smile.

Monday, November 20, 2006

O-HI-O

I've been swimming in the sea of scarlet and grey lately.
I've never been into football until I moved to Ohio. Sure I watched a little NFL here and there.

Saturday afternoons turned into a dedication to Ohio State University.
Shortly after I moved to Ohio I noticed bits and pieces of football everywhere.
The town I live in is a "Football Town."
Every Friday the kids wore their school colors and the menu consisted of "Touchdown Tacos."
There were signs in the yards of the proud parents.
Decals on car windows.
Even the corner ice cream shop was named after the mascot.
It didn't take me long to see that football was pretty big here.

I watched the games with Shawn.
I wore my OSU T-shirt on Saturdays to show my support.
I got even more and more excited as they kept winning, game after game.

I was told about the "Big Game." Ohio State vs. Michigan.
I was told it was the biggest game of the season and that it was a big rivalry.
I had no idea.

As the season progressed, OSU kept winning and I kept getting more and more excited to see "The Big Game."
As the game drew near, I started texting and emailing one of my college girlfriends (a Michigan fan) that OSU would kick their butt.
My screen saver became the OSU flag and song.

This was the season I would finally become a football fan.

The night before the game, we were having dinner out and as I looked around the room it was clear I was the only person not wearing scarlett and grey.
Saturday morning I decided to hit town to do a little shopping and as I meandered through the stores (this time in my own OSU T-shirt) I noticed how everyone else was wearing scarlett and grey.
Even the clerks donned their OSU apparrel at one of the department stores.
I sat in my car, waiting on the light and noticed that every single car that went by had a person wearing scarlett and grey in it.
Yup, football is that big in Ohio.
Big, and I am now one of them.
I decided not to fight the flow this time.
Just join in Carol, it makes your man happy.
If all I have to do to see that precious smile on his face is become an OSU fan...then I'll paint my bare chest red baby.

Our team didn't let us down either. It was a good, close game and "my guys" came out on top. Good job Bucks! From your newest fan.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home