With my hands tied behind my back

It's after the party. The ballroom is littered and empty. I am naked. My hands are tied behind my back. There is no music. The band is long gone. Yet, still I dance. I dance with a smile.

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Teaching Feminism

"feminism ain't about equality, it's about reprieve"
- Reprieve, Ani DiFranco

How do you teach two little boys about feminism?
I wonder about this often.
I think to teach by example is usually the most effective way.

A couple of things said here and there confirm our progress and our digress.
I'd like to give it.
Like a gift wrapped in skulls and cross bones.
Black satin paper with pretty pink bows.
Something they would think as "sweet."

He stands tall, the little man that he is.
He defends my rights more than the man who created him.
He questions others comments, like "What is that supposed to mean?"
And leaves no room for pondering, because he knows what's right without question.
"She hasn't asked him to marry her yet" He simply says to the other.
It's not how things are done, but yes, he knows this mother.

I hope this stays with him.
For the years of husbanding he will see.
I'm sure it won't be easy for him,
because it's not even easy for me.

If they could only see what I see.
The strength we hold within.
Not muscle bound freaks.
Not money.
Not authority.
Just a tiny little voice that whispers "free me."

How do you teach two little boys about feminism?
I hope it's just a given.
I love them like no other
and with that love they learn respect for women. - Tiny Dancer

3 Comments:

Blogger Unhinged said...

I predict that they'll get this, really get this, around age forty.

Of course, those boys are bone of your bone, so they might suprise you by the age of 25.

Lovely ideas you got there. You know how much I admire you, right?

10:22 PM  
Blogger Robbie said...

This is beautiful! For a moment, I thought it was lyrics to an Ani DiFranco song. Very nice! It reads and flows beautifully but addresses serious issues so artfully. Continue teaching by example, your boys will be perfect, as they are.

9:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful powerful Substance
:)

12:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home