With my hands tied behind my back

It's after the party. The ballroom is littered and empty. I am naked. My hands are tied behind my back. There is no music. The band is long gone. Yet, still I dance. I dance with a smile.

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

hahum...I have an announcement to make


It always seems that the minute I say I have nothing to say...words just float onto the page.

Today, I have something to say and I want it to be perfect, but I know there is no plan, only heartfelt flow.

Today, my something to say is inspired from Gigi's entry "Aloha Sweet Ruth." Thank you Gigi for sharing your heart.

It was February when I saw the picture. My heart still heavy with just a hint of a scar, but my spirit was light and laughing. In the picture there stood this beautiful man, strong, lean and confident. My heart tweaked a little and I let a little "ohah" sneak out of my lips. My silent mind spoke, "Now this is a handsome boy."

The picture led to email and email to telephone conversations about who we were and our interests and such. It didn't take long until email and telephone led to our first date.

I was to meet him at a local Italian restaurant after work one night. We arrived at the same time. Stepped out of our cars and met each other. That was our first step together.While waiting for our table he said to me, "Your pictures don't do you justice." I could tell he meant it, he was smitten and I blushed still not knowing how to receive compliments. We ordered red wine with our dinner. He let me pick the bottle. He had remembered I liked reds from a phone conversation. It had been forever and a day since I had shared a glass of wine with a man.

Fortunetly for us, the wine went straight to my head and I babbled and blah blahhed throughout the entire dinner. His eyes were intense and they never left my face. I had his full undivided attention. I was astonished at how not even the two younger blondes at the other table caught his eyes. He had a gorgeous smile. I wanted to reach across the table and touch my fingers to his lips.

Our food and wine came and went. We felt the end of our first date drawing near, but neither one of us was ready to retreat just yet. We needed more.

We decided to drive across town to an outdoor mall. In the middle of February. In the Midwest at Ten o'clock at night. We walked the sidewalks near each other, but not familiar enough to touch. Our hands shoved in our pockets for warmth. Only one store was open. The bookstore. We searched the art history books for my favorite Picasso painting. He found it first.

Beauty, confidence, intensity, attention to details and now diligence.

When there was barely enough warmth or entertainment for us to keep our first meeting going, we decided to pack it up and call it a night. He drove me to my car and we waited for my car heater to spread it's warmth. He stumbled over his words and asked if I would be interested in going on another date with him. Oh yes. Very interested.

He didn't try to kiss me. I left his car and smiled back at him as I climbed in mine. And that's the moment it hit me. This man with those intense eyes and beautiful mouth was going to be my husband. I just knew it. He was different from the rest. A gentlemen? I didn't think they bred those anymore.

Later, his sister would tell me that the morning after our first date he just quietly told his family that he had met the most beautiful woman. "She is so pretty." he'd said.

Our second date was dinner and a hockey game accompanied by my children. I admit, it was a test. Two kids shoved into the picture so soon. I was letting him know it was a package deal. I don't come alone. Again, the three of us had his undivided attention. He didn't even falter. He sat next to me at dinner. I soaked up his scent and he smelled so good. He reached over to hold my hand and sparks literally flew. It took me a second to regain composure. I was shocked from my response to a simple touch of hand.

Our third date was Valentines Day. A monumentous occasion for me, but not for the symbol of love it bears. He had sent me a bouquet to work that day. A tear escaped from me. This particular Valentines Day would change my life.

He met me after work for a movie and late dinner. This day marked our first kiss. I remember every second of it and how we melted into each other and how we smiled. I still smile when I recall this particular moment.

Our relationship evolved to May and we moved in together. Me, my kids, my dog and my 12 brand new towels. There are so many particular moments between then and now where I look up to see this beautiful man and every single time he takes my breath away. He's really mine, I ask. I must have done something really good to deserve this. Something really good.

So many moments of laughter, fear, joy, anxiety, tears and unconditional love. Our relationship keeps evolving and I'm still amazed at how uncomplicated it all is. It's just so easy to love this man and be loved by this man.

He asked me to marry him. He placed a beautiful ring on my finger. He tells me I'm beautiful and somehow I believe him. It's all so surreal. This story of ours. Like those stories we read in books.

I remember hoping for a day when I would feel joy again. Lately it's coming in bushels and waves. So simple and unconditional.

6 Comments:

Blogger Unhinged said...

You know how I feel about this already.

Live it. Own it. Breathe it. Feeeeeeel it.

C*O*N*G*R*A*T*Z!

9:54 PM  
Blogger Gigi said...

Oh, thank you sweetie (!) for joining in my memories of Mom. I am so glad you've found joy and wish you, your children and your new husband-to-be all the love in the world!

3:57 PM  
Blogger alphawoman said...

Congrat's!

8:36 AM  
Blogger Gordy said...

Good grief, I expected thousands of comments. Very warm congratulations, you two look wonderful together.

g

8:43 PM  
Blogger Unhinged said...

Hey!

P. Freaking. S.

Sign into Blogger the old way. Not through the gmail account thing. It's still in beta, so it's asking for gmail account sign ins.

Um hm.

11:08 PM  
Blogger MTS said...

I havent check in on this blog in a while but congrats :)

9:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home