With my hands tied behind my back

It's after the party. The ballroom is littered and empty. I am naked. My hands are tied behind my back. There is no music. The band is long gone. Yet, still I dance. I dance with a smile.

Monday, August 21, 2006

G.I. Jane smiles in the mirror

I happened to catch some of the best parts of that film G.I. Jane the other night.

I clicked on just as Demi has finished "Hell Week" and they are being dismissed for a little R&R.

They have the chance to "ring out" or quit.

A few soldiers, thoroughly exhausted and broken down, step up and ring a bell to signify that they quit.

Demi is the last soilder standing.

She frumps there staring at the bell.

It would be so much easier to quit; to go home and take a nice hot shower, to order a pizza and watch a movie, than to be beaten and broken.

So much easier.

Instead, she pulls out that pretty package of courage, that was hiding deep down inside for just such an occasion, and she walks right past the bell.

And what does she do then?

She takes the clippers to her hair. Oh yes, we all remember jar-head Demi.

She smiles at the mirror.

She knows, beyond a shadow of a doubt, who is holding the Ace of Spades.

I got goose bumps. I smiled with her. I knew I would blog about clicking on to G. I. Jane. I've felt that broken before. So many times I just wanted to ring out. But what I realized when I saw Demi smile in the mirror, is that I felt that pride before as well.

Babe, just pull out that pretty package at the bottom of the bag, (the one labled "MEAN SOB")and go smile in the mirror.

Because, darlin, you are indeed holding the Ace of Spades. Walk on past that bell and go shave your head!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home