With my hands tied behind my back

It's after the party. The ballroom is littered and empty. I am naked. My hands are tied behind my back. There is no music. The band is long gone. Yet, still I dance. I dance with a smile.

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Just keeping it real

I've come to a complete quality of life understanding - I've lost a lot of "things" in the last year. A lot of things gone, but somehow I'm still the same prosperous person. Maybe even a better person. Trust me when I say the things that you lose always come back around in some form or another.
Okay, I'll be the one to admit it. I'm flat broke. Yup, just like the rest of the world. Sure I'm not poverty stricken. My needs are met plus a little desires thrown in here and there. But I'm not wealthy either. I can't jump on a plane and fly off somewhere exotic. In fact, traveling an hour from home in my vehicle isn't even in the budget. But you know what? I'm entirely okay with it. I'm okay with my financial situation because I know that I work for it, I earn it and I spend the majority of it wisely.

I keep things real.
I know who I am and what I'm made of and I don't need labels to dictate the fact that I am valid.
There are only a few things that I am brand specific on and that's only because I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that they are of higher quality and will last as long as I need it to last.
I am not however, brand specific when it comes to food (coffee beans aside). I have no problem walking into an Aldis, a Savemore, a Doller General or whatever close out store there is. Dish soap is dish soap whether it costs a dollar or four dollars. It all cleans the dishes. So what if I have to bag my own groceries. If it's going to save me a couple bucks, I'm all for it. I'm fully capable.

I buy things for the way they fit or the way they look, not for whose name is on it. In this age, with many single, middle-class, working, parents and gas prices that make you want to run and hide, you have to be responsible for your finances and your own financial future.
Let's keep it real. If you can't afford it and don't need it...then don't buy it. I bet the people who live in the mountains of Jamiaca mon don't have it and somehow they get along just fine.

Sure, there are things I'd kinda like to have. I'd like to hop on a plane and spend a week back in California. I'd like to buy a bra that actually fits me. I'd like a new purse because the one I'm using is driving me crazy when I go to look for my keys. I'd like to have another back massage to loosen the tension in my muscles. But hell, ya know what? If it costs more than ten dollars, I'm not going to get it this week and most likely not next week either.

Right now, I'm just grateful that my bills are paid up, my vehicle still runs and gets me from A to B and back to A, I have a roof over my head and a comfortable bed and my children have food on their plates and clean clothes. What else really matters? When they are hungry, do you think they care whether I bought those bananas from Kroger or Aldis? When they get dressed in the mornings, do you think they give a damn if I bought that shirt at a second hand store or the local mall?

There is an odd satisfaction in "keeping it real." Just remember, you can't take any of it with you when you go.
Dancers 15 tips to keeping it real:
1. The local library instead of Barnes & Noble
2. Discount food stores- it all nuriches and turns to crap in the end
3. Clip coupons (I don't clip because I don't buy the paper)
4. Use the cell for long distance calls and limit it to nights or weekends
5. 87 Octane is just as good
6. Goodwill or close out stores have nice barely used clothes & furniture
7. Eyeball the racks for the bright yellow "Clearance" toppers
8. Constantly ask yourself "Do I want or do I need" and practice a little delayed gratification
9. Think ahead and stash a little away into 529 plans or IRA's - make your future just a bit more comfortable
10. Do the drink special or just go with water
11. Check out which nights the kids eat free or which night is five dollar pizza night
12. Split an entree
13. Go to the dollar theater
14. Be aware of the electricity you use and teach your children the importance of conserving
15. Use the credit or debit with a rebate, it's free money

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like it! Good job. Go on.
»

9:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed looking at your site, I found it very helpful indeed, keep up the good work.
»

3:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work » » »

4:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home