With my hands tied behind my back

It's after the party. The ballroom is littered and empty. I am naked. My hands are tied behind my back. There is no music. The band is long gone. Yet, still I dance. I dance with a smile.

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Seeking classification

Yesterday, I had a conversation with a friend about religion. Here we go into that ever sticky, thought provoking subject. Religions fascinate me. I like to study the history of religions. I love the programs on TV every year about the birth of Jesus. Scholar after scholar will give you their "opinion" of what happened.
Religions, it's one of those things that we use to divide our identities. For instance; I have several "Christian" friends, several "Baha'i'" friends, several "Catholic" friends, a few "Jewish", a few "Apostolic", a few "Jehovahs Witness" and so on and so forth. Out of all the things that bind us together in this world, we constantly feel the need to separate and classify. There are even subcategories. Baptist, Lutheran, Orthodox Jew, Roman Catholic etc...etc...
So here I sit wondering to myself...what the hell am I? Where do I fit. These are my beliefs...but what category do they fall in?
I was raised "Christian". I attended church every Sunday morning, Sunday night, Wednesday night and Thursday nights for 16 years. I believe in a higher power, one God. I believe that Jesus existed. I respect what Jesus stood for, just like I respect what Abdul Bah'al stood for, and what Abraham stood for, and Mother Mary and Confucius and... you get my point. But I swear, and I don't attend church, and I can't stand syrupy gospel music... so I guess I'm not "Christian."
One of my childhood best-friends was "Catholic". I attended my first Mass with her. I will most likely attend Midnight Mass with another Catholic friend this weekend. My degree is from a Catholic University where I studied both the Old and the New Testaments at great extent, but my degree is in Science. I believe that there are "demons" and "angels" and I adore the movie "Stigmata." I don't give up anything for Lent. So, I guess I am not "Catholic."
One of my best friends, in my adult life, is "Baha'i." My employers are "Baha'i." I deeply care and respect them as loving individuals, but I do not put my faith in Abdul but that doesn't change our love for one another.
There are some "pagan" beliefs and rituals that I adore, but I am not "pagan."
There are a lot of Native American beliefs and rituals that I adore, but I am not Indian.
I hold dear a lot of "Jewish" principles. I understand the struggles between Israeli and Palestinians. Both of my boys were circumcised. But, alas, I am not "Jewish."
"Scientologist?" No. "Unitarian Universalist?" I'm not entirely sure.
There are a lot of things I am not, but I'd like to live by the things that I am and I'd like to respect the beliefs of others. To me, it will always be "Christmas" and there will always be a "Santa Claus".
It doesn't matter to me what others say or how others believe. I know what I know, and I'm open for new ideas and new loves. I believe in a lot of things with my whole heart. My God is not greater or lesser than your God. I will not judge you by your faith. I will not occupy your land and make you live by mine. Nor will I blow up your bus because you are the anti-whatever. I do not seek classification and I'm okay with that. I still love you and I would hope that you still love me.

2 Comments:

Blogger Baquia said...

One of my best friends, in my adult life, is "Baha'i." My employers are "Baha'i." I deeply care and respect them as loving individuals, but I do not put my faith in Abdul but that doesn't change our love for one another.

Abdul? Do you mean Abdu'l-Baha?

But I think you want to say Baha'u'llah (who Baha'is believe to be a Manifestation of God and the founder of their religion). Abdu'l-Baha was Baha'u'llah's son.

11:09 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Anyways. Happy Holidays, or whatever. You and I are a lot alike - I was raised southern baptist, but I just can't find where I fit in. There are pieces everywhere, but as my friend Ran said, "You can't just choose bits and pieces of a religion that appeal to you - you have to embrace it in its entirety."

So here we are.

We'll figure it out eventually.

Merry X-Mas!!!
=) kris

12:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home