With my hands tied behind my back

It's after the party. The ballroom is littered and empty. I am naked. My hands are tied behind my back. There is no music. The band is long gone. Yet, still I dance. I dance with a smile.

Thursday, March 16, 2006

RE: Taking Requests

I mentioned just a tad bit about the goddess dance class in my last post and had a request to further expand on it.

(Sorry, no pictures. But trust me, it is not a picture worthy site to see me shimmying. Just take my word for it.)

Anyways, this was more like a one time only workshop that I was involved in. There is a group of women that meet every week to learn, discuss and ponder the influences of the goddess' we as women possess. This group, or sisterhood, is led by a local professor named Beverley Danusis. Anyways, my close friend and business partner, Layli' is a part of this goddess rap. Layli' is from Hawaii and has been practicing the art of belly dancing for over nine years. She has also taught belly dancing for birthing and empowerment for 2 years. Layli' was giving this workshop on belly dancing and tapping into your sacred space for the goddess group, and I attended. Layli' gifted the group with her dance and then continued to teach a few moves and lead the group into their own empowerment and free will to dance.


If you ever have a chance to see a belly dancer perform, I highly recommend it. It's a very empowering, beautiful thing to observe. And just squelch any images of woman shaking teets in face or woman getting naked for your viewing pleasure, because it is so not like that. It's a very cultural, spiritual dance that leaves you pretty much breathless and in awe. From knowing Layli and knowing other belly dancers thru her, I feel pretty comfortable in saying that the belly dance has pretty well evolved back to women dancing for their own empowerment, and not women dancing for men's pleasure as seen in Indiana Jones, Star Wars etc...etc...

In writing about all of this, I feel compelled to share how Layli' specifically her dance has affected my life. Because, after all, like duh, it's all about me.

As you're all aware I'm sure, I have been "coming into my own" for just over a year now. Call it my Saturn, call it crawling out of my abyss, call it becoming a woman, call it my mid-life crisis, call it whatever the hell you wanna. Whatever it is dubbed...I've been privy to come into it over the last year. The crossing of the threshold was in Cheryls yoga class in L.A. last February. (Sending my love to Cheryl! XO) Upon returning to the Mid-West and the undying, devoted, unconditional love of my husband, I started said voyage into my own. As it turns out, I was not meant to journey alone without guidance. Thus, I was sent Layli' from Hawaii. My empowerment icon.

We bonded, formed friendship and to this day we have GNO every now and again. The first GNO, I didn't dance. In my damaged mind, I was fat and ugly and very uncomfortable w/ myself and I just couldn't dance. Especially felt this way when up against a nine year veteran belly dancer. Slowly over the past year, Layli's empowerment and total comfort with her body has rubbed off on me. Layli' has helped majorly in reversing damage done. Her encouraging words, her actions, her dance has helped me be comfortable with my body and hence...smiling, stark naked tiny dancer untying hands here.

My journey has not yet ended...never ending. But in review...WHOA! Have I sure come a long way. I strongly believe that people and events are placed on our paths for very specific reasons.

Do me a favor, yah YOU (Men and women alike)...if you don't already have it (for whatever ungodly reason), get a copy of Macy Grays "Sexual Revolution", pop it into your CD player, get naked, and just dance. If you're normally not a dancer, here's a few tips: stand w/ your knees slightly bent and move your hips in a figure eight fashion. To the right around the loop and to the left around the loop. Maybe raise your arms above your head and grab your left index finger w/ your right hand. Don't look in the mirror, just know you are fantastic. Not because I said so, just because you are. Dance your heart out and be sure to smile. Unconditionally love yourself. It's really okay not to be perfect. None of us are, but we are still very beautiful people. And when you're done, maybe sit and reflect. Maybe listen to "Song for a friend" by Jason Mraz. Maybe just love yourself for a few minutes... and then indulge in a bite or two of 66% dark chocolate.

Mmmmm. Life just doesn't get any better than this. (Now unlock the bathroom door, turn off the water you used for noise and go on with your day.)

4 Comments:

Blogger Unhinged said...

Hunh?

7:10 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I have that CD and sexual revolution is the ONLY song I like on there!!

That is totally a dancable toon. That and Lose Control by Missy Elliott. =)

(separated at birth, I'm tellin' ya)

10:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you! Web page promotion service Bikini kungfu.com free Ronald g chambers dining room tables2c chairs audio funny answering machine message Ambien results Replacement parts versa pool heaters volvo + virginia Withdrawal from provigil decks patios driveways new laguna new mexico H3n2 surveillance weather maps heating and cooling energy Coast-coast bodybuilding Gmc sierra vibrating above 65 mph

4:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP » »

7:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home