With my hands tied behind my back

It's after the party. The ballroom is littered and empty. I am naked. My hands are tied behind my back. There is no music. The band is long gone. Yet, still I dance. I dance with a smile.

Thursday, February 09, 2006

Mardi Gras, Good friends, Good laughs

Reflection of Mardi Gras and good friends.
About 4 or 5 years ago I had a Mardi Gras party. I'm the notorious party planner. I love decorating, preparing, inventing, minute details all for the sake of a group of people laughing and having fun together. I haven't planned a good party for quite some time now. I'm way overdue. Last one was Halloween 2004 when I made Andi dress up all Goth like and come see my belly dancer agianst her will. But she's an awesome friend and indeed made an appearance, wig, make-up and all.

Anyways, back to the Mardi Gras party...I held this party for my co-workers at the time. I decorated my house in shiny purple and green. Bought tons of beads for everyone to wear (w/out having to show the lady lumps of course.) I bought feathered face masks for everyone. Stocked my kitchen w/ tons of beer, Captain, Vodka, Amaretto and Jack. We played Pictionary, which is always quite interesting when the crowd is toasted. All of my co-workers came too. It was a great office party, even if none of us remember much about it.

The life of the party was my friend Colleen. I miss that woman like crazy! Colleen and I were very different, but had a great friendship. She played a huge part in how I am so open-minded and nothing much surprises me now. Colleen was one of my first lesbian friends. Our relationship was strictly platonic but I adored that woman more than she'll ever know. I mentioned being "messed up in the head" when I was 24/25. Colleen helped me through a lot of hard times back then. She never judged me and always, always made me laugh. No matter what, she could always make me have a good belly laugh.

At this Mardi Gras office party, Colleen indeed made the crowd laugh. She was toasted before she even got to the party. The STBX was a dear and went to pick her up from the local legion so she wouldn't be driving. I wasn't there, but I guess when he arrived at the legion to get her, she did some sort of happy scream when she saw him, hugged him tight and dragged him around the bar to introduce him to everyone. He hardly knew her, but he suffered through it w/ a smile and that meant the world to me. The STBX was never one to go out of his way for any of my friends, Colleen was the one and only exception and that thrilled me. Maybe it was only because she pulled off a mullet better than him or they could trade wardrobes...no matter, it just meant the world to me.

So Colleen finally arrives to the party half lit. Does her rounds, makes everyone laugh a few times. Then she comes out of my bathroom with my sons 101 Dalmations robe on...I swear she looked like an idiot. Everyone lost it. Belly laughs for the whole crowd.

A few months later, Colleen was let go from her job and I didn't see her much after that. I've lost track of her. I think of her often. I wish she could've helped me through this last year. Lord knows I could've used her belly laughs. But I carry her in my heart always. Bottoms up to you Colleen, wherever your life has taken you. Happy Mardi Gras, baby! You're the best! I hope we meet again somewhere on this road of life and have a few more good belly laughs!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a great story. Waiting for more. » »

1:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home