With my hands tied behind my back

It's after the party. The ballroom is littered and empty. I am naked. My hands are tied behind my back. There is no music. The band is long gone. Yet, still I dance. I dance with a smile.

Thursday, January 19, 2006

I foundeth a booketh

Oh sweet heavens, I have found a book but unfortunetly I am just about done with it.

"A Bride Most Begrudging" by Deeanne Gist.
A period piece. An English daughter of Earl has been kidnapped and taken to the American colonies, against her wishes, and sold as a bride in trade for tobacco. To her advantage, her husband is a nice, repectful, God fearing man. She is anything but domesticated. Smart, witty, full of fire. Wants nothing more than to go back home. In the meantime she will do what needs done no matter how challenging. She will survive. Somewhere along the way she has fallen in love with the man who has purchased her. And he with her. Indeed sometimes the most dreadful things have a way of working out. After all..."it's in the script."

I borrowed this book from my mom. She has an extinsive shelf of "Christian" novels. I tend to try and stay away from them. They make me sad. I often find that Christianity has some woeful tales. The last "Christian" series I read was another period piece about an American woman falling in love with a Jewish man during the British occupancy. I forget the name of the series, but I had to stop reading mid-series because they were depressing me.

Before that I was reading the Anne Rice Vampire Chronicles. "Memnoch The Devil" was a very beautiful piece. Um, yah, no matter how much I loved them, they were indeed too very dark for someone on an anti-depressant already.

I really, really needed something light and uplifting...the very reason Andrea suggested the Stephanie Plum novels by Janet Evanovich. I read the first nine in a matter of a couple of months. I laughed out loud. I fantasized about Morelli.

Most recently I've been on a Sandra Brown kick. Tales of strong women, lust and a mystery. Mmmm. I love a good sex scene.

I also have a fasination with childrens books. I love a well written childrens story. I have many favorites. We have a whole bookshelf full of childrens books. A few I saved from my childhood, but many I bought when my oldest was just a wee lad.

I have a small collection of "literary works." "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory." "Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator." "The Scarlett Letter." "Alice in Wonderland." And so on and so forth.

I love a good story...don't even get me started on my movie collection.

You can tell a great deal about a person just based on their book and film collections. Although my film collection is much different from my book collection:
Elizabeth
GI Jane
U571
Moulin Rouge
Peter Pan
Bring it on
Night at the Roxbury
Bridgett Jones
Duece Bigalow
Something about Mary
The Game
American Pie
Charlies Angels #2
Harry Potter #1/#2/#3

Movies I need to add to the collection:
Oh Brother Where art thou - let someone borrow, never returned
The 40 yr. old Virgin
Life is Beautiful- let someone borrow, never returned
Pride & Prejudice 05'
Must Love Dogs
Fight Club
Fried Green Tomatoes
I see more and more that I must have all the time.

There you go...sum me up. Ha. As if.
Recommendations on good books wanted. This one won't be lasting me long.

4 Comments:

Blogger redsneakz said...

Isabelle Allende - The House of Spirits; a truly beautiful book.

Anything by Kinky Friedman - laugh out loud uproariously funny

Same for Terry Pratchett.

Neil Gaiman - Anansi Boys; I never knew where this one was going, so it kept me up all night.

Wanna hear about the other fifty books I read in the past three months? :-)

6:55 PM  
Blogger Abadiebitch said...

I normally only read dead authors, but currently is reading Margaret Atwood's Handmaid's Tale.

In the last three weeks I have read Colette's Gigi and The Last of Cheri, and Jane Austen's Mansfield Park.

Since the Pride and Prejudice gathered a few nominations I don't think it will be available until late spring. I'm waiting Feb. 28 for the release of "Where The Truth Lies."

11:23 PM  
Blogger Unhinged said...

Okay, lets see ... you're a little bit ridikkalous, a little bit country, a little bit rock 'n roll ...

I thought you didn't like reading romance novels. Huh? Huh? Huh?

And what about that book I loaned you last year called WHY GIRLS ARE WEIRD by Pamela What's-her-face? That was definitely a weird read, but kind of funny, right?

And I know you'd like THE DOGWALKER by Leslie Schnur because Schnur's character is a lot like Stephanie Plum.

Meanwhile, I think I might do a movie pick-me-up entry today, inspired by you, my pretty. Thanks!

11:48 AM  
Blogger tiny dancer said...

You guys & gals are the best! Can't wait to make a trip to the book store!!!

1:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home