With my hands tied behind my back

It's after the party. The ballroom is littered and empty. I am naked. My hands are tied behind my back. There is no music. The band is long gone. Yet, still I dance. I dance with a smile.

Thursday, December 08, 2005

Total rant about the unjustice of it all

I'm a soon to be divorced parent of two children. I am currently supporting my children by myself. I'm okay with that. I love my kids more than anything in this world! I've heard over and over "think of the kids" while going thru this divorce. Amazingly enough it always comes from the mouth of someone that has never been thru a divorce. It angers me. I AM thinking of my children.

Mars filed for the divorce late November. Mars has to have the divorce now. I was in no hurry. Yet still I heard about how Mars will have very little money for Christmas for the kids because he had to hire a lawyer. I quickly reminded him that it was his choice, I was not in a hurry. I too am hiring a lawyer. Let me tell you all about the retainer fee that I've had to ask my parents to cover because I am a single mother of two children and I am not receiving child support at this time. Sure, to hire a lawyer was my choice as well. I didn't feel comfortable "just signing off."
A lawyer insures that I get my fair share from 11 years of marriage. I felt the retainer fee was worth my peace of mind.

I received a letter in the mail the other day saying that I am expected to complete a program for divorcing parents. It's court ordered. If I do not complete this program within 45 days of the filing(Jan. 4th), I might have consequences to pay. So it's taken me 3 days to contact the program director. She finally calls me back and explains the program. The program is 4 hours long, available this Saturday from 8:30 to 12:30. To prepare for this program I am expected to fill out a two page registration, to access the internet site and complete a set of "commitments" that will take me at least 3 hours to complete (not kidding, it says Note: this can take up to 3 hours to complete), and to bring a money order for $50.

I'm sorry, but I feel a little robbed here. I will do whatever it takes because this is "for the children." It seems a little ironic to take 7 hours away from a single parent, never mind the endless phone calls over the past three days just to find out about the program...and now I have to pay $50 to complete the course on parenting so I can show a judge a certificate that deems me a "fit parent." $50 is a lot for a single mother, at Christmas time, with a retainer to pay... hope the kids like PB&J cause there just went their lunch $ for the month.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unhinged said...

Um, is E suing for custody?

(Shoot. Gotta go catch the bus.)

8:43 PM  
Blogger redsneakz said...

I totally feel you on the "parenting" class. It's too too bad that they 1) won't waive the fee, and 2) that they don't make ALL parents take it before they conceive.

11:44 AM  
Blogger Robbie said...

WTF???? Is this a requirement where you live or did this get forced for a reason? Crazy! :-(

1:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best regards from NY! »

6:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home