With my hands tied behind my back

It's after the party. The ballroom is littered and empty. I am naked. My hands are tied behind my back. There is no music. The band is long gone. Yet, still I dance. I dance with a smile.

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

"That's Not Okay!"

I once heard the phrase, "That's NOT okay." I've adopted that phrase and it has stuck with me for almost a year now. When I run into conflicts I just say "That's NOT okay." It validates my opinion and my feelings.
Yesterday, I kept my youngest son home from school because he was sick. Laying in his bed he asked if it would be okay to play video games. I quickly said "sure."
My oldest son happened to over hear us talk about playing video games and he quickly piped up and very calmly said "Mom, I don't think that's really okay because you don't allow me to play video games when I stay home sick."
He was right. I don't allow him (He likes to play hookie.) So I agreed that since he wasn't allowed than neither should my other child be allowed. I mandated no video games.
It didn't dawn on me until later how proud I was of my oldest son for piping up and voicing his opinion in such a tactful manner. Compliants are breed by Compliants. I broke the mold when I left Mars. I was "not okay" with the situation and I changed it. I didn't comply. I did that with my children in mind. I do it everyday with my children in mind. I was so THRILLED when I realized what a huge thing my oldest son had accomplished when he said "That's not okay." ~ I had to call him later that night and let him know how very proud of him I was and why. He needed to hear that he was validated.